This is the only state sponsored organization in Sri Lanka for the manufacture and sale of Ayurvedic drugs. The Corporation was established in 1969 by order under the industrial Corporations Act No. 49 of 1957 made by the then Minister of Industries and Fisheries.
The main objectives of the Corporation are
The Board of Directors consists of the Chairman, a Working Director and five other directors appointed by the Minister of health. By the end of the year 2003, the Corporation had 236 employees including the executive grades.
The head office of the Corporation is No. 94, Old Kottawa Road, Navinna, Maharagama. 14 k.m. from Colombo. The Corporation has six sales centers: one at the Central Road, Pettah, Colombo 12, Galle, Badulla, Diyatalawa, Anuradapura and the other at Soratha Mawatha Gangodawila Nugegoda.
Although the figures relating to the value or production of private firms are not available, it is generally accepted that the Corporation is the biggest single manufacture of Ayurvedic drugs in the country. It manufactures a variety of items for Ayurveda, Siddha and Unani Systems of medicine. Of particular importance is the production of Rasa medicines (metallic preparations). These medicines are comparatively costly and the preparation of these drugs involves an elaborate process.
The Corporation supplies a large proportion of the manufactured drugs required by the Department of Ayurveda and free dispensaries in the Provincial Councils. Even in case of raw drugs the Department does not make purchases in the open market unless it is confirmed by the Corporation that the required drugs are not available in its stores.
Recently the Corporation ventured into new field of commercial activity, namely the export of locally available crude drugs and locally manufactured drugs to foreign countries.
|Mr. Somawira Chandrasiri||Chairmen||011-2851610|